The entry period is now open for the 2020 Excellence in Journalism Awards, honoring the best journalism from around metro Detroit during 2019.
We are also accepting nominations for Journalist of the Year and Young Journalist of the Year, as well as applications for a Laurain Scholarship.
The contest is now open, and the deadline for all journalism entries is Friday, Feb. 7, 2020 The deadline for JoY, YJoY and Scholarships is Feb. 28. Details in our call for entries, as well as contest entry instructions are below.
- Go to www.betterbnc.com.
- Open Call Login:
- Click “Open Call Login” in the blue bar at the top of the page
- If you already have an Open Call Contestant account, enter your email
address and password, then click “Login” and skip to section “g.
Request to make entries in a contest” below
- If you do not already have an Open Call Contestant account, click
“Create your Open Call account”
- Fill out the form
- Click “Submit” at the bottom of the page
Once you fill out the form to create your Open Call Contestant account, the system will send you a validation email with a link that must be clicked before you can log into your account.
- Request to make entries in a contest (Open Call Only):
- Hover over the red “Open Call Contestant” text in the blue bar at the
top of the page
- Select “My Contests” in the menu that appears
- In the “Available Contests” section, check the box next to the contest
you would like to enter
- Hover over the red “Open Call Contestant” text again
- Select “Manage Entries”
- Submit Entries
- Click “Submit Entry” from the Manage Entries page
- Select a Division (group of Categories)
- Select a Category
- Select the Media Organization where the entry was published or performed
(Open Call Only)
- Enter the entry headline or title
- Add entry content (may vary by category)
- To upload digital file attachments (other than audio/video), click
“Browse”, navigate to the desired file, and then click “Open”. Allowed
file types are PDF, DOC/DOCX, TXT, JPG, GIF, and PNG. To upload
additional attachments to a single entry, click the “Browse and Attach
More Files” button. BetterBNC will allow up to about a 20MB file,
however, we suggest keeping your files around 5MB in case the
judges have a slow connection. For files larger than 20MB, you can
click the “RealView” icon on the Submit Entry page to create a free
account, upload your files, and then copy and paste the URL into the
URL field on the Submit Entry page. You may also use a similar 3rd-
party website that provides hosting services (scribd.com, issuu.com,
- To add web/audio/video content, copy and paste the content’s URL
address into the provided Website URL field. To host your content
online, either upload it to a free streaming content website
(e.g.YouTube) or talk to your IT person about adding it to your
stations/publications website. Make sure the content will be accessible
online throughout the duration of the contest and awards process.
Here are some examples of free streaming content websites where
you can upload audio and video content:
- Audio: www.kiwi6.com, www.tindeck.com
- Video: www.youtube.com, www.vimeo.com
- IMPORTANT: Please be sure that items are not behind a paywall or a
password-protected area. If they are, you must provide
username/password info in the Comments section of your entry.
Judges may disqualify your entry if work samples are inaccessible.
- Add Comments
- Enter Credits
- Click “Submit Entry”
. For hardcopy/mail-in entry categories, print and attach the entry label (which
automatically appears after each entry is submitted) to each hardcopy item
and follow contest shipping instructions (contact the contest administrator for
- Pay for Entries
- When all entries are submitted log into your account
- Navigate to the Manage Entries page
- Click “Calculate Entry Fees”
- Follow the on screen instructions to pay for your entries