Dear SPJ Detroit members and friends,
First and foremost, thank you to all the reporters, editors, producers, publishers, journalism professors and students who continued our mission to seek and report the truth during these challenging times. You are among the frontline, essential workers and heroes. Our journalism society extends our praise, gratitude and support with sincere wishes for your safety and health in 2022.
Despite Covid setbacks, your SPJ board has been meeting monthly via zoom with new programs and initiatives for 2022. Among them are:
- – Our 2022 Excellence in Journalism Awards. Detroit SPJ is accepting entries and nominations honoring the outstanding achievers and achievements in 2021 by print, broadcast, photo, digital and other practicing journalists in Michigan. Check this website for details. We plan to meet in person for our award ceremony on May 5, 2022, at the San Marino club in Troy.
- – Freedom of Information Act – FOIA Fest. This half day event co-sponsored with Wayne State University is set for Saturday, March 5th at the WSU Student Activities Center. FOIA training and important updates on the Open Meetings Act and government transparency issues will be provided with our partners from the Michigan Press Association, Michigan Center for Open Government and others Look for details and registration information on our website and Facebook page in February. If the Covid rates continue, we will hold this event virtually.
- – We are planning an informational session on “Report for America” with the Region 2 Manager Vincent McCraw. This will be a virtual event in late February.
- – In mid-March, we will present “All Things Digital in a Newsroom” with two local TV digital directors. This too will be virtual. A date and information are forthcoming.
- – Google tools training. Our fall training session was very successful, and we are planning another training session in April.
I’m happy to announce that SPJ Detroit has new officers and committee chairs. Here is a complete list with contact information. As always, we welcome your input. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Happy 2022.
SPJ Detroit officers, board members and committee chairs for 2022.
Chastity Pratt -Vice President /FOIA – The Wall Street Journal – firstname.lastname@example.org
Martin Fischhoff – Vice President/Committees – Detroit Public Television – email@example.com
Kelley Root – Secretary – Communications committee chair – Crain’s Detroit Business – Kelley.firstname.lastname@example.org
Walter Middlebrook – Treasurer – Foster Professor of Practice – Penn State, Former Asst Managing Editor – Detroit News – Wmiddlebrook2012@gmail.com
Board members and committee chairs:
- – Dana Afana – Detroit Free Press
- – Ro Coppola – WDIV-TV
- – Rob Davidek – WWJ – Chair-Membership Committee Robert.email@example.com
- – Vincent Duffy – Michigan Radio – Chair Programming Committee firstname.lastname@example.org
- – Jackie Headapohl – The Detroit Jewish News
- – Catherine Kelly – Bridge Detroit
- – Vince McCraw – Report for America, National Association of Black Journalists, Detroit Chapter
- – Kat Stafford – Associated Press
- – Dan Stocking- Finn Partners
- – Michael Wayland – CNBC
- – Max White- WXYZ-TV
- – Don Wyatt – Digital First Media
- – Marcia Hart- SPJ Detroit Administrator – email@example.com – 313-288-9546